Thursday, January 14, 2010

♥ My African Experience ♥


Now we are studying Africa. I haven't been there yet, but have loved Africa and wanted to go there since I can remember. I used to watch the show "Born Free" when I was young and when I discovered the book, I read that as well.
I have known several people from Africa and will tell you what I learned from them.
From 1995-96, I had a Moroccan boyfriend. He taught me a lot about his country, language, customs, etc. He was a Muslim, but not a very strict one. His Moroccan language is Arabic, but mixed with Berber, the indigenous people of the region. He also spoke fluent French as it was a French colony. Oddly, although Morocco is closer to Spain geographically than France, he didn't speak Spanish. However, he picked it up very rapidly. When someone is mulitlingual it is supposed to be easy for them to pick up new languages and he proved this to be true.

We met when we were both working as waiters in Olive Garden. I was going back to school to get my Masters in Education and teaching certificate and waiting tables gave me the flexibility to do that. He had come to the U.S. as a tourist, gotten married in N.Y. to someone "for the papers", and then moved to Houston. I never knew his true immigration story and have lost touch with him. I do remember he had to go to New York and communicate with that woman regarding their marriage. It seemed like a reasonable story and I didn't question it.
When he arrived in Houston, at Hobby airport, he found an apartment not far from the airport. He took the bus everyday to Olive Garden near the Galleria from the Hobby Airport area. His apt. had very little furniture and he slept on the floor on a mat. His roommate was Moroccan as well.

1 comment:

  1. student in Mrs. Donnellys class: I went to south africa for the world cup (soccer) in 2010.

    ReplyDelete