Friday, November 13, 2009

No drinking age; no speed limit








Since I haven't been to Germany since 1982, I do not know how much has changed. There are a few things that most people seem to know about German culture. One of those is the beer or Das Bier. They may or may not know that there was (is?) no drinking age in Germany. Another is the cars and the 'autobahn' or highway where there is no speed limit. Being a young adult at an 'experimental' and 'rebelious' age, I took full advantage of the drinking opportunity. If we went off base, we could buy beer, wine, etc. w/o having to show I.D. We'd go to the German pool in the summer and buy beer, watch the Germans change from their clothes to their bathing suits in front on everyone. Germans are not modest either. The driving age in Germany was 21 or so I am told. Most Germans utilize their excellent public transportation system anyway. Lets get back to the drinking. Uh - oh, gotta go. will update later...

1 comment:

  1. That is very interesting. I have never known much about German culture even though I am quarter of it. I wonder if the drinking age and speed limit rule has changed. Blog me with more updates about it.

    ReplyDelete