Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ski Trip to Yugoslavia




February - '82. The Sitzmarkers Ski Club, previously mentioned, took a bunch of American Military Officer's kids into a communist country to go skiing for the weekend.
Unlike most ski trips, we were told to be careful because we were Americans in a communist country, like we really knew what that meant. It made it even more of an adventure though, as if it was very dangerous. I think people even mentioned that we could be kidnapped, held hostage, etc.
So, of course, we were leery of the Yugoslavians at first.
Since I was skiing with 2 other girls and they went up together in front of me on the t-bar lift and no one from our group was around, I had to ride with a stranger; a poor, unsuspecting Yugoslavian guy. I was sooooo mad and probably was quite the brat with him. Nevertheless, he turned out to be a "normal person", spoke perfect English, and was so sweet and very interesting to talk to.
Guess what I learned from that experience...that it is so ignorant to prejudge people.
Anyway, the skiing was great and we got to go to the ELAN ski factory. Unfortunately I didn't bring extra money, as suggested, because skis and ski equipment were really cheap. A lot of my peers took advantage of that chance. I bought a head band though and I think I still have it somewhere.
BTW, the place we went, Bled, is in Slovenia. Our hotel overlooked a beautiful lake and I am trying to upload some postcards I bought.

2 comments:

  1. That must have been really weird skiing in a place where you thought may have been unsafe. I have never gone skiing myself, but have always wanted to. How worried or scared were you that something bad could happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool how you went to a communist country to go skiing! It sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete